- Provide clients with information about the industry
- Promote your products and services
- Invite people to an event
- Send out a monthly newsletter
When planning your email marketing strategies, you need to answer these basic questions:
- What is the purpose of your communication and who do you send it to?
- How often should I send out a communication?
The purpose of you communication could include:
- Driving traffic to your website
- Get clients to purchase a product
- Get new "likes" for your Facebook fan page
Once you've defined your goal, you'll know who you want to send your communication to.
The most challenging part of creating a newsletter is creating valuable content. You want your message to be education-focused. This will help build trust, loyalty and retention. Don't just sell - provide value. The content should be interesting and relevant to your readers. Ask yourself, "How will this information benefit my readers?"
Communicating more often is not necessarily better. It is more beneficial to send quality content in a quarterly newsletter than a monthly newsletter with so-so content.
If you'd really like to know what you readers want from you and how often they'd like to hear from you, ask them. Ask, "What topics would you like to see addressed in the newsletter? How often would you like to receive it? Weekly, monthly, quarterly?"
Take time to plan your email marketing so it's most effective. Remember - it's not how many people you send it to that measures your success. It's how many people who actually read it and take an action such as:
- Click through to your website
- Call you for an appointment
- Buy a product or service
- Share your content via social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
Please share your most successful email planning tips. And get more great tips in our book and Action Guide.